Tuesday 5 June 2012

Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Nickelodeon really knocked it out of the park with their series Avatar: The Last Airbender.  It was a terrific ride filled with excitement, adventure, and some really off-the-wall comedy.  So naturally I was excited to see the new series, Legend of Korra.

But being set almost seventy years after the original, and therefore keeping none of the original cast I had come to know and love, could they maintain my interest and keep an old diehard happy? Or would the new world succumb to my scrutinous eye, and become overwhelmed by any small issues I might find?

 In a word, yes.  Yes to both, a state of being that I find uniquely interesting in fact.  It is holding true to the fun and excitement that I loved about the original, and the small inconsistencies and holes that I find sit at the forefront of my thinking, driving a deep conspiracy-theory part of my mind and keeping me engrossed on many levels.

Korra is a fun protagonist, and I look forward to seeing her evolve as the series continues.  Her physical proficiency with the Bending arts is visually exciting, and her omplete lack of understanding of the spiritual side of being the Avatar leads me to wonder what kind of a rapport she's going to have with her previous selves.  I look forward to sparks.

The rest of the cast is equally intriguing.  There are some obvious holdovers, archetype-wise.  Mako is the new Zuko, brooding and dark.  Tenzin continues Katara's history of serenity punctuated by moments of complete incredulity and anger. Pabu is the new Momo. And then there's Bolin.  Bo's supposed to be the new Sokka.

I should tell you, it is my opinion that there could never be a new Sokka.  His greatness and boomerangosity can never be equalled.

That said, Bolin does a great job of trying.  He's funny, he's witty, he's ridiculous.  He has a great prop (noodles), and an even better animal sidekick.  Now, if they could just get him a boomerang...

Speaking of weapons, my biggest issue with the new series revolves around just that.  Legend of Korra takes place in the steampunk-esque Republic City, complete with cars and blimps and electricity.  Somehow, though, the Benders are an inherently powerful overclass.  With the ability to weaponize one of three elements at will, they are seen as an unstoppable force, and the cause of a rebellious Equalist movement.

But, in this incredible world of flying metal blimps and robot suits, has no-one invented the gun?  It strikes me that that is a pretty equalizing factor in any combat.  Even if you were fighting a metalbender, there are other weapons that, in the hands of a skilled user, are just as deadly.  It's like when people discovered bending as a means of combat they completely forgot that they can use tools.  Does the idea of masonry even exist in this world?  Maybe not, it's hard to say.

I understand that this fact has to be glossed over to some extent for the sake of the story, but I feel that they should have been at least somewhat addressed.

I have a few other thoughts, but I think I'll save them for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment